Amenities and Activities during the Winter Months!
- Aurora Discovery Institute: Enjoy a fun atmosphere to learn about the Aurora Borealis. Sit and enjoy our 7′ Earth Globe and watch the days pass as the globe spins. See the globe reflect the lights of the Aurora Borealis, the Aurora Australis and the great city lights. A true mesmerizing experience! Spend time interacting with one of the eight I-Pad stations, learning about the Auroras, planets, and solar system. Or just come inside to warm up from any of our other outside winter activities.
- Aurora Conservatory: Enjoy our newly constructed 20’x 20′ building boasting three glass walls and a slated glass ceiling. The Aurora Conservatory faces north towards our beautiful Chena River and offers fantastic winter views and a front-seat to the aurora in optimal viewing conditions! Completely heated, completely panoramic, and completely free to our guests! Available March 1st – October 31st.
- Aurora Riverfront Deck and Fire Pit: Our natural gas fire pit on our Aurora Riverfront Deck offers a wonderful bit of warmth and a beautiful backdrop as you wait for the Aurora to appear! Laugh and meet other guests from around the world as you tell the tale of your own Alaskan Adventure over a roasted marshmallow (or two, or three, or four…).
- Winter Bocce Ball: That’s right! Bocce ball is not dedicated to summer anymore! Get out and enjoy our newly available winter-style Bocce Ball court– featuring groomed pathways and court, as well as light-up Bocce Balls to enjoy those long winter nights!
- Jay Bird’s Sledding Hill: Enjoy an true Alaskan adventure and go sledding down our hill on the banks of the Chena River. During the coldest months of the year guest can enjoy a small thrill as they climb into a complimentary sled and slide down the hill onto the banks of the FROZEN Chena River.
- Winter “Love Alaska” Sign: Spend a few minutes to trek across the frozen Chena River to take a close up selfie with Pike’s very own “LOVE ALASKA” sign. This stop upon your vacation is sure to be a social media success.
And don’t forget…
- Free Coffee at Check-in
- Free Continental Breakfast: Buffet service offered daily from 6am-10am
- Evening Ice Cream: Purchase a scoop of ice cream during our ice cream social every evening from 6pm-9pm.
- Northern Lights Wake-Up Call: If the lights are out, we will give your room a call to wake you! Just let the Front Desk staff know!
** *** **
Year-Round Activities for Your Enjoyment!
- Empress Theater: Enjoy an aurora themed film in our plush 14-seat theater!
- 1000-Book Alaskan Library: Take a moment to browse our warm and rich collection of Alaskan literature– widespread topics include aurora, native culture, history, gold rush, and fiction inspired by the last frontier!
- Jay Bird’s Short Cue and (Slightly) Crooked Billiards Speakeasy: Explore a ‘secret’ room with a classic speakeasy feel. Relax and shoot a fun game of pool with our short cues!
- Aromatherapy Steam Room & Dry Sauna: Enjoy a relaxing environment with aromatherapy essential oils. Utilize the dry or steam sauna 24 hours a day!
- Museum Quality Art Collection: Discover our uniquely Alaskan art collection throughout the hotel!